Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion
Outpatient Surgery Center at Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion
Outpatient surgery care you can count on.
Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion is a fully integrated health care center dedicated to bringing you the services you need, when you need them. Our surgery center provides a comfortable environment for treatment and recovery, combining the latest medical technology and an expert team of caring professionals.
Advanced care, just for you.
Here, we offer a wide range of services to meet your needs — including general surgery, gynecology, hand surgery, ophthalmology, otolaryngology, plastic and reconstructive surgery, podiatry and urology. And with our patient-focused approach to care and state-of-the-art systems, we'll quickly get you home and back to doing what matters most to you.
Walking you through each step.
We'll help you prepare for surgery and will be there with you every step of the way, so you can feel comfortable and prepared for your procedure.
Here's what you can expect before, during and after your surgery.
- Contact your surgeon before your surgery if you have questions, become sick, have cuts or rashes near the surgical site.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you home after surgery, and to stay with you for 24 hours following surgery.
- Do not eat anything after 11 pm the evening before your procedure.
- You may have the following drinks up to four hours before your procedure: noncarbonated water, Gatorade or black coffee or tea (no cream or milk).
- Do not smoke, use tobacco, eat mints or chew gum the day of surgery.
- You may receive a call on the day of your surgery to come in earlier or later than originally scheduled based on operating room availability.
- Fill any post-surgery prescriptions prior to your surgery.
- Depending on the time of day of your surgery and your medical condition, take your medications as directed by the Pre-Anesthesia Department, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Avoid taking vitamins and supplements for one week before your surgery.
Day of surgery
- Bathe before your surgery, remove all makeup and refrain from using any lotions or oils. Follow your doctor's instructions for the use of deodorant.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and comfortable shoes, preferably ones that slip on.
- Bring your insurance card(s), driver's license and copayment, if required. We are not responsible for lost or stolen personal items, and recommend you leave all nonessential items, including jewelry, at home.
- When you arrive for your surgery, park in the parking structure on Health Center Drive, next to Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns. Parking is free with validation from our surgery center.
- Arrive 90 minutes before your scheduled surgery time, unless otherwise instructed. Expect a one- to two-hour stay in the preoperative area.
- Be prepared to sign a consent form for your surgery. If you are under 18, a parent or legal guardian must accompany you, sign the consent form and remain in the lobby during your procedure.
- You will be escorted to the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) where nurses and the anesthesiologist will monitor your condition for 30 to 90 minutes.
- Some medications you may receive during surgery may cause you to lose track of time. Depending on the procedure, you may feel some discomfort or nausea.
- Upon discharge, you will receive home-care instructions and be escorted to your vehicle by wheelchair.
- You may require more rest or sleep than usual for one to two days following your procedure. Unless directed otherwise, start your diet with clear liquids and advance to solids, as tolerated.
- Do not drive, drink alcoholic beverages or operate machinery for 24 hours following your procedure.
- One of our nurses may call to check on your condition the day after your surgery.
- Refer to your discharge instructions or call your doctor with any questions.
- Follow your doctor's orders regarding diet, rest, medication and activity.
- Read our tips on pain management
If you have questions regarding your upcoming surgery, give us a call at 858-939-3295.
How to find us.
Parking is available in the parking structure on Health Center Drive, next to Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns. Parking is free with validation from our surgery center.
From June 20 to July 22, due to construction impacting our front entrance, patient drop-off and pickup will relocate to the cancer institute driveway, north of the Outpatient Pavilion.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I take the time to listen to my patients in order to tailor a treatment plan based on their needs."
"The Sharp Experience combines compassion for patients with delivery of the highest quality medical care."
"The Sharp Experience means having a personal connection with patients, providing world-class state-of-the-art care, and delivering an unparalleled patient experience with compassion and empathy."
"I aim to provide high-quality care in a friendly environment and to recognize each patient's needs."
"Building trust is the key to helping a patient make the correct informed decision."
"I am dedicated to the treatment of kidney disease, and promoting health in a caring and cost effective manner."
"My goal is to provide the best patient care that I can, encompassing all women's health needs."
"The Sharp Experience means taking care of a patient the way I would take care of a family member or want to be taken care of myself."
"The Sharp Experience means going the extra mile and putting in that extra effort, not just on an individual level but on a community level to improve the health and well-being of a population."