Cancer Clinical Trials
Your access to cutting-edge cancer treatments.
As a leader in clinical oncology research, our Sharp Center for Research offers you the latest clinical trials that assist in discovery of new and improved treatments to help you overcome cancer. With a wide selection of open trials for almost every tumor site we give you more options for cancer research.
As a participant of a clinical trial, you are guided through the use of experimental drugs or treatments that have been recommended based on your type of cancer. Please visit the links below for additional detailed information about our clinical trials.
How clinical trials work
More people are living longer thanks to successful cancer treatments resulting from clinical trials. Before new treatments are introduced to patients, they are first studied in the laboratory.
Once preliminary research indicates the possible benefits of a new treatment, clinical trials go through three phases. Phase 1 tests for safety, Phase 2 tests for effectiveness, and Phase 3 tests for both safety and effectiveness in a larger group of patients.
Only after a new treatment passes all three clinical trial phases is it then cleared for general use. All approved cancer treatments available today began as clinical trials.
Why consider joining a clinical trial?
High-level patient care — Participants receive close monitoring and guidance by clinical trial coordinators and their oncologist.
Access to promising new treatments — Participants may receive a treatment that will be more effective than the standard treatment, and unavailable outside of a clinical trial.
Better treatments — Participants help expand researchers' knowledge and determine whether new treatments will improve outcomes for future patients with cancer.
Cost to participate
There may be some costs associated with participating in a trial. Most patients are responsible for copays and deductibles as they would be if they were receiving treatment outside of a clinical trial. The research team will discuss any possible costs with you prior to enrolling.
How to participate
Ask your doctor if any study at Sharp may be appropriate for you. Your doctor should explain the criteria for trial eligibility, including the stage of cancer being studied; how results will be evaluated; and the potential benefits and risks, such as side effects or other health impacts.
You will receive an informed consent form outlining the purpose of the clinical trial and the risks involved. If there is anything on the form that you do not understand, ask your doctor before signing.
During a clinical trial, you will be monitored and observed closely. If at any time you or your doctor believes the treatment is not in your best interest, you can leave the study.
Enroll in an active cancer clinical trial.
- SHCGBM-001, Evaluation of Malignant Peptide Epitope Expression and Immune Response in Glioblastoma Patients, Amtower Foundation
- SHCGBM-002, Evaluation of HER-2 Receptor Expression and HER-2/neu Gene Amplification in Glioblastoma Patients, Amtower Foundation
- A071701, Genomically-guided Treatment Trial in Brain Metastases (NCT03994796), Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
- AFT-25, Comparison Of Operative To Monitoring and Endocrine Therapy (COMET) Trial For Low Risk DCIS: A Phase III Prospective Randomized Trial (NCT02926911), Alliance Foundation Trials, LLC
- IPI-549-301, Phase 2, Multi-arm, Multicenter, Open-label Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of IPI-549 Administered in Combination with Front-line Treatment Regimens in Patients with Locally Advanced and/or Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer or Renal Cell Carcinoma (NCT03961698), Infinity Phamaceuticals, Inc.
- A011202, A Randomized Phase III Trial Comparing Axillary Lymph Node Dissection to Axillary Radiation in Breast Cancer Patients (CT1-3 N1) Who Have Positive Sentinel Lymph Node Disease After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy (NCT01901094), Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
- A021502, Randomized Trial of Standard Chemotherapy Alone or Combined with Atezolizumab as Adjuvant Therapy for Patients with Stage III Colon Cancer and Deficient DNA Mismatch Repair (NCT02912559), Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
- NCICOVID, A Longitudinal Natural History Study (NCT04387656), National Cancer Institute
- EF-25, METIS: Pivotal, open-label, randomized study of radiosurgery with or without tumor treating fields (TTFields) for 1-10 brain metastases from non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) (NCT02831959), NovoCure Ltd.
- D9103C00001, A phase III, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, multicenter, international study of Durvalumab following stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) for the treatment of patients with unresected stage I/II, lymph-node negative non-small cell lung cancer (PACIFIC-4/RTOG-3515) (NCT03833154), AstraZeneca
- BioDyn-005, Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) specimen collection for the TRACE Assay, Biological Dynamics
- ME-401-003, A Multicenter, Open-Label, Single-Arm, Phase 2 Study of ME-401 in Subjects with Follicular Lymphoma After Failure of Two or More Prior Systemic Therapies (NCT03768505), MEI Pharma, Inc.
- APTO-CG-806-01, A Phase 1a/b Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Tolerability of CG-806 in Patients with CLL/SLL or Non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas, (NCT03893682), Aptose Biosciences
- INCMOR0208-301, A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Tafasitamab Plus Lenalidomide in Addition to Rituximab Versus Lenalidomide in Addition to Rituximab in Patients With Relapsed/Refractory (R/R) Follicular Lymphoma Grade 1 to 3a or R/R Marginal Zone Lymphoma, (NCT04680052), Incyte Corporation
- S2000, A Randomized Phase 2 Trial Of Encorafenib + Binimetinib + Nivolumab Vs Ipilimumab + Nivolumab In Brafv600-Mutant Melanoma with Brain Metastases (NCT04511013), Southwest Oncology Group
- ACE-536-MDS-002: A Phase 3, open-label, randomized study to compare the efficacy and safety of Luspatercept (ACE-536) versus Epoetin alfa for the treatment of anemia due to IPSS-R very low, low or intermediate risk myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) in ESA naive subjects who require red blood cell transfusions, (NCT03682536), Celgene Corporation
- 18-0402, A Phase 1a/b Dose-Escalation Study Followed by Expansion Cohorts of NGM120, a GFRAL Antagonist Monoclonal Antibody Blocking GDF15 Signaling, in Subjects With Advanced Solid Tumors and Pancreatic Cancer Using Combination Therapy (NCT04068896), NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
- CO-338-063, TRITON3: A Multicenter, Randomized, Open-label Phase 3 Study of Rucaparib versus Physician's Choice of Therapy for Patients with Metastatic Castration-resistant Prostate Cancer Associated with Homologous Recombination Deficiency (NCT02975934), Clovis Oncology, Inc.
- C3441021: A Phase 3, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study of Talazoparib with Enzalutamide in Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer (NCT03395197), Pfizer
- S1609, DART: Dual Anti-CTLA-4 and Anti-PD-1 blockade in Rare Tumors (NCT02834013), National Cancer Institute
- EAY131, Molecular Analysis for Therapy Choice (MATCH) (NCT02465060), National Cancer Institute
- NGM18-0402, A Phase 1a/b Dose-Escalation Study Followed by Expansion Cohorts of NGM120, a GFRAL Antagonist Monoclonal Antibody Blocking GDF15 Signaling, in Subjects With Advanced Solid Tumors and Pancreatic Cancer Using Combination Therapy (NCT04068896), NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc.
- DF1001-001, A phase I/II, first-in-human, multipart, open-label, multiple-ascending dose study to investigate the safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, biological and clinical activity of DF1001 in patients with locally advanced or metastatic solid tumors, and expansion in selected indications (NCT04143711), Dragonfly Therapeutics
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors specializing in oncology in San Diego.
"I am dedicated to providing exceptional, compassionate cancer care and being an advocate for my patients."
"Dedication and friendliness are essential in delivering superior patient care."
"My goal is to provide information and treatment options to help you through this challenging time."
"My goal is to provide positive experiences in order for my patients to get as healthy as possible, as soon as possible."
"The Sharp Experience means having the tools to be able to support my patients in all aspects of their care."
- Advanced Care Life Support (ACLS)
- Bariatric surgery
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Breast cancer
- Cancer support groups
- Cardiac Training Center
- Childbirth preparation
- Chronic disease management
- City of San Diego health & wellness workshops
- Congestive heart failure
- Continuing education
- Covered California
- CPR and first aid
- Embarazo y parto
- En español
- Financial and health care planning
- Gentle exercise
- Health screenings
- Integrative and complementary medicine
- Men's health
- Mental health
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Newborn and baby care
- Online education programs
- Pain management
- Parenting and child development
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Prenatal hospital tours
- Seniors and aging
- Sharp Chula Vista employees
- Sharp Coronado employees
- Sharp employee education
- Sharp employee online education
- Sharp Grossmont employees
- Sharp Metro employees
- Sharp-Rees Stealy employees
- Smoking cessation
- Stress management
- Weight management
- Women's care
- View category descriptions
These important numbers are located on your billing statement.
Find your SharpCare account number
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) governs the processing of personal information gathered from individuals while they are in the European Union (EU) and parts of the EEA (European Economic Area, which currently includes Iceland, Lichtenstein and Norway).
We are sorry, but we are unable to process your price estimate if you live or are travelling within the EU or affiliated nations.
Many surgery and procedure names sound similar. If possible, please provide the current procedure terminology (CPT) code, which can be found on the order from your doctor.
If you cannot provide the CPT code, please contact your doctor's office for the CPT or a detailed description of services.