Heart and Vascular Care
Mechanical Circulatory Support
Heart support systems in San Diego.
Since 1987, more than 900 patients have been supported with mechanical circulatory support systems at Sharp HealthCare. Mechanical circulatory support systems are devices that keep the heart functioning in patients with life-threatening heart disease. Mechanical assist devices can be used to help a heart become stronger, as a temporary support tool until a patient can receive a heart transplant or as a permanent treatment.
- Awaiting heart transplantation (bridge to transplant)
- Expecting cardiac recovery (bridge to recovery)
- Living comfortably at home or traveling with an implantable permanent left ventricular assist device (LVAD), also known as destination therapy
Why choose us?
- Active participation in clinical trials enabling many devices to receive FDA approval and be used more safely and effectively
- Comprehensive onsite heart rehabilitation program
- Nationally recognized clinical researchers and authors covering issues relating to artificial heart pumps
- Sharp Memorial Hospital has advanced certification in ventricular assist devices from The Joint Commission
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in heart care in San Diego.
"I am dedicated to providing complete, high quality and personalized medical care for my patients."
"The Sharp Experience is the human touch - the ability to connect with another human being."
"My goals are to advocate for the patient and to prevent cardiac emergencies by practicing preventive medicine."
"I am honored to serve as President of Sharp Rees-Stealy Medical Group where my colleagues and I strive to provide excellent care and always put the patient first."
"My greatest pride is when I see a patient in my office and they tell me they’re doing better than before."