In the Community
Sharp HealthCare Annual Community Benefit Plan and Report
Addressing the needs of our community.
In fiscal year 2019, Sharp HealthCare provided $462 million in community benefit programs and services. This translates to one of every $8 of our net revenue being spent in direct support of the community. Highlights of Sharp's community benefit include:
Benefits for the broader community
More than $1.8 million supported the following efforts:
- Collaboration with local schools to provide experiences that spark student interest in health care careers
- Community flu vaccination clinics and health screenings
- Support groups and community health education addressing a variety of community health needs, including many of those identified in Sharp's 2019 Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA)
- Participation in community health fairs and events addressing the unique needs of San Diegans
- Participation of Sharp leadership and staff in numerous community organizations, committees and coalitions to improve the health of the community
- Financial support to nonprofit community health organizations
Benefits for vulnerable populations
More than $3.4 million helped serve the San Diego community through:
- Financial support for medications, transportation and other needs of patients who cannot afford to pay
- Community-wide efforts to ensure the safety of seniors in their homes
- Programming to increase access to community-based health and social service resources for San Diegans
- Navigation and support for uninsured and underinsured patients regarding financial coverage options, and assistance with the health care coverage application process
- Contribution of time to Stand Down for Homeless Veterans, Feeding San Diego, San Diego Food Bank, Mama's Kitchen, Ssubi Is Hope and other organizations through the Sharp Lends a Hand program
- Financial and in-kind support for community clinics to improve health services
- Paid leave time for Sharp employees to provide health care and other services to underserved or adversely affected populations around the world through the Sharp Humanitarian Service Program
- Transportation for patients to and from medical appointments
Health research, education and training programs
More than $5.8 million helped provide:
- Supervision and support for students, interns and residents from a variety of academic disciplines and numerous local and national colleges and universities
- Sponsorship of health-related programs, classes, professors and clinical experience at San Diego State University; University of California, San Diego; Point Loma Nazarene University; Southwestern College; and other academic institutions
- Education and training programs for medical, nursing, pharmacy and other community health care professionals
- Education and support for the health care and research communities around evidence-based practices for health care delivery, and effective and responsible research conduct
- Facilitation of interdisciplinary research studies to identify and promote quality patient care throughout the health care community
Medical care services
More than $451 million was contributed in the following ways:
- Uncompensated care for patients who are unable to pay for services
- Unreimbursed costs of public programs such as Medi-Cal and Medicare
In addition, Sharp leads and participates in emergency and disaster planning to protect the health and safety of the San Diego community, and, through its All Ways Green initiative, has been an innovator in green practices to improve environmental and community health.
Further, through participation in the 340B Drug Pricing Program, select Sharp hospitals are permitted to purchase outpatient drugs at reduced prices. The savings from this program are used to off set patient care costs for Sharp's most vulnerable patient populations, as well as to assist with patient access to medications through Sharp's Patient Assistance Program. In fiscal year 2019, participation in the 340B Drug Pricing Program provided a cost savings of $78.3 million to help expand programs and medication access to Sharp's patients in need.
Sharp hospitals use the findings from their triennial Community Health Needs Assessment to help guide the Sharp HealthCare Community Benefit Plan and Report, as well as individual Sharp hospital implementation strategies.
The Community Benefit Plan and Report is a testament to the care that Sharp provides to the San Diego community — care that extends above and beyond the walls of our hospitals and health care facilities.
To learn more about the positive impact Sharp physicians, nurses, staff and volunteers have on the San Diego community, read the complete Sharp HealthCare Community Benefit Plan and Report, Fiscal Year 2019 (PDF) or the Executive Summary (PDF).