There’s nothing like a hearty Thanksgiving meal. Instead of microwaving next-day leftovers, shake up your palate by giving turkey a Mexican spin. This tostada recipe is fresh and easy, and most importantly, features SoCal’s favorite fruit: the avocado.
Crispy Turkey Tostadas
Adjust the spice level in this tostada dinner recipe by upping or skipping the amount of jalapeños.
- 3 cups cooked turkey or chicken, shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans
- 8 small corn tortillas
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican mix cheese
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- 1/4 cup black olives, sliced (optional)
Step 1: Heat the Meat and Beans
Using your preferred method, warm the meat and beans.
Step 2: Crisp the Tortillas
Heat oven to 375° F. Coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Divide the tortillas between 2 large baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until crisped and light brown, about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Build the Tostadas
To assemble, spread each crisped tortilla with a dollop of beans. Top with the turkey or chicken, then layer with the toppings of your choice: avocado, tomatoes, onion, salsa, sour cream, cilantro, lettuce, cheese, jalapeños and olives. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from eatingwell.com.