Sharp Grossmont Hospital
Advanced Endoscopy Services at Sharp Grossmont Hospital
Cutting-edge care in the heart of East County
If you are experiencing issues related to your digestive tract, your doctor may order a nonsurgical procedure to determine the cause. A tube-like instrument will be inserted into your body to look inside.
There procedures allow doctors to diagnose gastrointestinal issues and determine the best course of treatment. At the Sharp Grossmont Hospital Kamyar Suite, we offer a range of procedures to treat conditions such as:
- Barrett's esophagus
- Dysphagia/achalasia (difficulty swallowing)
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Pancreatic pseudocysts
- Tumors of the gastrointestinal tract (throat, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, large intestine, colon and rectum)
- Strictures (narrowing or blockage of gastrointestinal tract structures)
- Zenker's diverticulum (outouching of the muscle that divides the throat from the esophagus)
Exceptional care for the most complex conditions.
Using cutting-edge procedures, we also offer advanced endoscopic techniques that allow doctors at Sharp Grossmont to treat a variety of issues affecting the digestive tract.
Our advanced endoscopic procedures:
- Endoscopic ultrasound directed transgastric endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography – diagnoses and treats diseases of the gallbladder, biliary system, pancreas and liver
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) including gastric bypass and altered anatomy – diagnoses and treat problems in the gallbladder, liver, pancreas and bile ducts
- Endoscopic ultrasound with or without fine needle aspiration (EUS) – allows for detailed and precise images of the digestive tract, as well as surrounding organs and structures in real-time. If needed, this device can also help the doctor see deeper structures such as bile ducts, liver and pancreas
- Pseudocyst drainage
- Removal of cancerous growths and lesions in the gastrointestinal tract:
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR)
- Endoscopic fistula closure
- Transoral Incisionless Fundioplication (TIF) – treats chronic GERD without surgery
- Zenker's Diverticulectomy/Zenker's Release – eliminates the obstruction between the throat and esophagus
Our continued innovation has led to effective preventative, acute and chronic care with shorter recovery periods.
Leading the way with innovative techniques.
In addition to our national recognition by the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), we are proud to be first locally in San Diego to perform the following procedures:
- Endoscopic full thickness resection (EFTR) – removes cancerous growths and lesions in the gastrointestinal tract
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) – removes cancerous growths and lesions in the gastrointestinal tract
- Endoscopic ultrasound-guided gastrojejunostomy/enterostomy (EUS-GJ) – treats blockages of the path between the stomach and small intestine
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) – treats achalasia, a tightening of the esophagus, to restore ability to swallow
- Transmural gallbladder drainage (GBD)
Thanks to our expert gastroenterology team's vision for innovation and cutting-edge techniques, Sharp Grossmont Hospital is home to San Diego's leading advanced endoscopy center.
– Dr. Michael Lajin, Gastroenterologist & Advanced Endoscopy
Explore Sharp Health News.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors specializing in gastroenterology in San Diego.