Sharp Memorial Hospital
Our volunteer program application process will be restart on April 2. We appreciate your interest in volunteering on the Sharp Metropolitan Medical campus in Kearny Mesa.
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually two to four hours)
- Attend a 45-minute online volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including TB testing; if invited, you will be eligible to receive a COVID-19 vaccine but it is not required to volunteer
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. After the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are not currently accepting applications from high school students. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not able to process applications and place new volunteers into roles at this time. We will post information on this page when it becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
If you are graduating in the spring of 2021, we recommend you apply to our adult program after you graduate and turn 18. We do not offer summer-only volunteer opportunities for students.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with three-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a 45-minute online volunteer program information session
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-$30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"To me, The Sharp Experience means equally giving and receiving a sense of purpose and dignity in patient care."
"My goal is to provide information and treatment options to help you through this challenging time."
"A perfect outcome from surgery is when both the patient and I are completely satisfied and impressed with the outcome."
"I combine the best medical and surgical resources with a caring bedside manner for a high-quality experience."