Sharp Memorial Hospital
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually two to four hours)
- Attend a two-hour volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. During the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are not currently accepting applications from high school students
We recently accepted enough applications to fill our open positions. We plan to accept applications again in June 2019 from students graduating in 2020 and 2021.
Many of our student volunteers stay with us for a year or more so open shifts are limited.
If you are graduating in 2019, we recommend you apply for our adult program after you graduate and turn 18.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with three-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a two-hour volunteer program information session along with a parent or guardian
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-$30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
If you are ready to apply, fill out an application.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I pride myself on good communication and truly enjoy spending time with my patients."
"The Sharp Experience is about connecting with patients and walking alongside them down the path of health and wellness."
"I strive to go above and beyond in taking excellent care of my patients with every interaction."
"The Sharp Experience means providing the highest quality of women's health care possible."
"I combine the best medical and surgical resources with a caring bedside manner for a high-quality experience."
"I treat patients as I would want a physician to treat my own friend or family member."