Sharp Memorial Hospital
All Sharp volunteer programs are suspended at this time. We are not currently accepting volunteer applications. Thank you for your understanding.
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually two to four hours)
- Attend a 90-minute volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. During the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are not currently accepting applications from high school students. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not able to process applications and place new volunteers into roles at this time. We will post information on this page when it becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Many of our student volunteers stay with us for a year or more so open shifts are limited. If you are graduating in the spring of 2020, we recommend you apply to our adult program after you graduate and turn 18.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with three-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a 90-minute volunteer program information session along with a parent or guardian
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-$30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"My goal is to care for each person as an individual and provide a unique experience for all."
"Nothing compares with the joy of assisting during the birth of a child. It's an honor to share such an important part of a patient's life."
"The thought of helping kids when they cannot express themselves is very compelling."
"It is an honor to be part of an organization that strives for excellence and takes pride in their work."
"The Sharp Experience means constantly striving to exceed patient expectations in a collaborative and supportive environment."
"I take pride in working closely with my patients to provide the most appropriate and up-to-date treatment."