Sharp Memorial Hospital
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually three or four hours); shifts may be shorter for Integrative Healing volunteers; there are a few volunteer roles where shifts can be twice a month
- Attend a three-hour volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. During the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are not currently accepting applications from high school students.
Many of our student volunteers stay on our team for long periods, which limits the availability of open shifts. We recently accepted enough applications to fill our open positions. We plan to accept applications again in July 2018 from students graduating in 2019 and 2020.
If you are a high school senior, consider applying to our adult program after you have graduated and turned 18 years old.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with three-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a three-hour volunteer program information session along with a parent or guardian
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-$30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"It is a privilege to help patients improve health and quality of life and to prevent illness."
"I value your health and safety and strive to provide the highest standards of aesthetic and reconstructive surgery."
"The thought of helping kids when they cannot express themselves is very compelling."
"I believe in patient-centered care and work with both the child and parent in developing a plan for optimal health."
"I am grateful for the opportunity to be able to provide compassionate care for women of all ages."
"I provide personal, high quality care of hip and knee conditions in a private practice setting."