Sharp Memorial Hospital
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually three or four hours); shifts may be shorter for Integrative Healing volunteers; there are a few volunteer roles where shifts can be twice a month
- Attend a three-hour volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. During the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are not currently accepting applications from high school students. Many of our student volunteers stay on our team for long periods, which limits the availability of open shifts
We plan to accept applications again in February 2019 from students graduating in 2020 and 2021. We anticipate receiving a large number of applications, and will only have the application available for a limited time.
If you are graduating in the winter or spring of 2019, we recommend you apply to our adult program after you graduate and turn 18.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with three-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a three-hour volunteer program information session along with a parent or guardian
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-$30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I strive to go above and beyond in taking excellent care of my patients with every interaction."
"The Sharp Experience is about connecting with patients and walking alongside them down the path of health and wellness."
"I take pride in working closely with my patients to provide the most appropriate and up-to-date treatment."
"I strive to provide the same care to my patients that I expect for myself and my family."
"I make sure my patients are supported and informed to lead healthy, productive lives."
"The Sharp Experience means physicians among all specialties collaborating to provide patients with the highest quality of care."
"I realize the importance of children's health and strive to provide high-quality care."