Sharp Memorial Hospital
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually two to four hours)
- Attend a two-hour volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. During the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are not currently accepting applications from high school students. We recently accepted enough applications to fill our open positions. We plan to accept applications beginning Jan. 15, 2020, from students graduating in 2021 or 2022.
Many of our student volunteers stay with us for a year or more so open shifts are limited. If you are graduating in the spring of 2020, we recommend you apply to our adult program after you graduate and turn 18.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with three-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a two-hour volunteer program information session along with a parent or guardian
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-$30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
If you are ready to apply, fill out an application.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"The Sharp Experience means providing the utmost care and professionalism to every single patient."
"Dedication and friendliness are essential in delivering superior patient care."
"My patients will always have my full attention and I will do my best to help them."
"My mission is to provide compassionate and courteous care to all of my patients."
"The Sharp Experience signifies dedication to the highest quality patient-centered care."
"I care for the complexities of the heart with compassion, understanding and the trained hands of experience."