Sharp Memorial Hospital
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually 3 or 4 hours); shifts may be shorter for Integrative Healing volunteers; there are a few volunteer roles where shifts can be twice a month
- Attend a 3-hour volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. During the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are accepting applications from high school students graduating in the spring of 2018 and 2019 that meet the below requirements.
Many of our volunteers stay on our team for long periods, which limits the availability of open shifts. We suggest applying immediately if you are interested.
If you are 18 years old and graduating after the fall semester, please consider applying for our adult program after you graduate.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with 3-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a 3-hour volunteer program information session along with a parent or guardian
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"My goal is to provide the same outstanding care for my patients that I would for my family or myself."
"I love being a doctor and I encourage my patients to teach me how to be a better one."
"The best outcomes result from open communication between the physician and patient."
"My mission is to provide the best prenatal care possible in a compassionate and understanding way."
"I aim to provide cutting-edge medical care in a humanistic and honest manner every day."
"Building trust is the key to helping a patient make the correct informed decision."