Sharp Memorial Hospital
We are so happy you're interested in volunteering with us. To maintain the quality of our program, our volunteers must meet a few minimum requirements.
Requirements for adult volunteers.
- Dedicate a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer service
- Commit to at least one shift per week for the same day, time and length (usually 3 or 4 hours); shifts may be shorter for Integrative Healing volunteers; there are a few volunteer roles where shifts can be twice a month
- Attend a 3-hour volunteer information session and participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a one- or two-piece uniform
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing
If your application is accepted, you will be invited to register for an informational session. Attendance at this session is a requirement within the selection process. During the session, you can sign up for an interview.
If you are invited to join our team after your interview, you will need to complete a health screening before your volunteer position begins.
Requirements for high school volunteers.
We are not currently accepting applications from high school students.
Many of our student volunteers stay on our team for long periods, which limits the availability of open shifts. We recently accepted enough applications to fill our open positions. We plan to accept applications again in February 2018 from students graduating in 2019 and 2020.
If you are 18 years old and graduating after the fall semester, please consider applying for our adult program after you graduate.
Please review the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) and no D's within the last year
- Must provide official grade transcript for last two full semesters
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Commit to a minimum of 100 hours of service with 3-hour shifts scheduled the same day, time and one shift per week; maintain an attendance rate of 80% or higher
- Attend a 3-hour volunteer program information session along with a parent or guardian
- New volunteers start in guest ambassador positions or upscale boutiques and can possibly earn transfers into nursing units
- Participate in ongoing training
- Purchase a uniform ($23-30 plus scrub pants)
- Complete a health screening including annual TB testing and flu shot
Find out more.
For more information about our volunteer program, please read our frequently asked questions. If you have more questions, please call us at the number below or send us an email. We are not able to accept court-ordered service applications.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"My greatest pride is when I see a patient in my office and they tell me they’re doing better than before."
"I specialize in performing weight-loss surgery to increase patients' health and quality of life."
"Building trust is the key to helping a patient make the correct informed decision."
"I strive to provide state-of-the-art imaging and interventional services in a caring and cost effective manner."
"I take the time to listen to my patients concerns in order to recognize individual goals."
"My goal is to treat every patient with respect and compassion, and provide the latest and up-to-date medical care."
"My job is to be an advocate for your child's health and, as such, I want to be a trusted resource for parents."