Sharp Memorial Hospital
Bariatric Surgery at Sharp Memorial Hospital
Sharp Memorial Hospital offers one of Southern California’s most comprehensive bariatric programs.
We are nationally accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program, American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, and the American College of Surgeons. These designations mean that you have peace of mind knowing Sharp Memorial provides high-quality, safe care.
Our surgeries have an extremely low complication rate, and very high success with long-term weight loss. We perform more than 250 bariatric surgeries each year.
We partner with you every step of your weight-loss surgery journey.
Our team of experienced professionals, including nursing, nutrition and behavioral health experts, have specialized knowledge to best provide you with safe, quality care before, during and after surgery.
Our program goes beyond our advanced surgeries. We offer:
- Free bariatric surgery informational seminars
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy and Roux-en-Y laparoscopic gastric bypass
- Extensive support services to help you maintain your weight loss
- Support groups led by a nurse or registered dietician
- Robotic-assisted bariatric procedures
- Individual diet plans, which include appointments with a board-certified bariatric counselor clinical dietitian
- Personalized and thorough weight-loss assessments
- Expert caregivers, including board-certified bariatric surgeons and specially trained certified bariatric nurses (CBN) dedicated to helping you achieve your desired results. At Sharp Memorial, more than 25 CBNs care for patients undergoing weight-loss surgery — the most at any one hospital in the nation
- Specialized care before, during and after your surgery to support your long-term success
Insurance and cash pay accepted.
In addition to accepting most insurance plans, we also offer convenient, affordable cash pay options to give you more control throughout your bariatric care experience. Self-paying patients may not have to meet the standard approval process and medically supervised diet programs that are often required by insurance companies prior to surgery. Your physician will be able to help you understand the self-pay options available to you.
Sharp Memorial Hospital Weight-Loss (Bariatric) Surgery
San Diego, CA 92123
Free seminar for those considering weight-loss surgery.
Free two-hour support group for patients before and after weight-loss surgery.
Free two-hour support group for patients who have undergone weight-loss surgery.
Free two-hour support group for patients after weight-loss surgery to help stay on track.
"We are dedicated to providing safe, team-driven, high-quality care for our bariatric surgery patients."
— Dr. George Mueller, medical director
Nationally accredited by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors specializing in general surgery - bariatric surgery in San Diego.
Dr. George Mueller
"It’s been my privilege for 20+ years to work closely with Sharp Memorial’s incredible bariatric team to ensure the best care and lifelong success for our patients."
Dr. Eric Luedke
"The Sharp Experience means a commitment to excellence. This is what we strive to accomplish each and every day for our patients."