Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women & Newborns
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Sharp Mary Birch
Visitation policy update.
During this unusual respiratory illness season, we want to be vigilant in protecting our most fragile patients. Only adults with wristbands will be allowed in the NICU, and siblings will not be permitted. Thank you for your understanding and support during this time.
About the Sharp Mary Birch NICU.
If you're an expectant parent, we know that you wish for your baby to be healthy. But when complications arise, first-rate care is the next best thing. Sharp Mary Birch's Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is known worldwide for excellent care, and is the largest unit of its kind in California. As a Level III NICU, there's no better place for your baby to grow, heal and receive specialized, high-quality medical care.
A team approach to healing our littlest patients.
We know what your little one needs. We are doctors, nurses, lactation specialists, neonatal nurse practitioners, nutritionists, occupational and physical therapists, research specialists, respiratory care practitioners and social workers. And we're all working together to help your baby heal.
Our caregivers are focused on the needs of the family. This means assistance with feeding, private rooms where parents can take an active role in care and informational sessions so you know what your baby needs.
A reputation you can count on.
There's a reason why more than 130 babies are transferred to our NICU from other area hospitals each year. We rank among the top four centers in the nation for NICU infection prevention, and we care for up to 84 infants at a time. And in 2018, we cared for the world's smallest baby. Our unique programs keep us at the top of our field:
- Neonatal Research Institute: A team of caregivers provides the latest scientific evidence on the best ways to care for our newborns. This includes delivery room interventions, ventilation strategies, seizure detection and prematurity.
- Neurologic Intensive Care Nursery: Specializing in state-of-the-art care for newborns that may require advanced neurologic assessment and care.
- Developmental Care Program: Combining technology and innovation with human touch to give at-risk babies the best start in life.
- Guiding parents throughout the NICU experience: Our specialized guide will help you through this time. Please disable your browser's pop-up blocker in order to view the guide.
- Nemeth NICU Follow-Up Clinic: Ongoing specialized follow-up care to promote optimal growth for preterm babies after leaving the NICU. Comprehensive assessments and continued care help our NICU graduates meet developmental milestones.
At Sharp Mary Birch, our support of each NICU family continues far beyond the day they graduate. Please share your NICU to NOW story, including your NICU graduate’s growth, milestones and accomplishments with the Sharp Mary Birch NICU community.
Family first, every time.
Caring for a NICU baby takes more than a team of compassionate clinicians — it takes you. That's why we involve family every step of the way. Visiting hours are 22 hours per day, ensuring you'll be there when you need to be. And we encourage parents to participate in Kangaroo Care — a form of skin-to-skin contact that encourages bonding, interaction and cuddling — and which has shown to encourage breastfeeding, help with restful sleep and promote an early release for premature infants.
Read our helpful guide on navigating the NICU as a parent. Please disable your browser's pop-up blocker in order to view the guide.