Robotic Surgery for the Removal of Endometriosis
Getting you better, faster.
Endometriosis is difficult to live with — it can cause both physical and emotional pain. At Sharp, we're here to help you better understand your condition and give you safe, innovative options for healing.
We offer minimally invasive treatments, including robotic surgery, which can swiftly treat your endometriosis and get you back to living the vibrant life you deserve.
What is endometriosis?
Women who have endometriosis develop endometrial tissue outside of the uterus (tissue that is normally inside the uterus). The tissue still responds to the regular hormonal cycle of the female body by building up and breaking down with the menstrual cycle, resulting in internal bleeding, inflammation, cysts and scar tissue.
The endometriosis scar tissue may also cause blockage in the pelvic area and organs, resulting in infertility or difficulty getting pregnant.
- Pelvic pain
- Menstrual cramps
- Abnormal or heavy menstrual flow
- Gastrointestinal problems (diarrhea, constipation or nausea)
- Painful urination and bowel movements during menstrual periods
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Infertility or difficulty getting pregnant
Am I at risk for developing endometriosis?
While any woman may develop endometriosis, you may be at increased risk for the disease if you fall into any of the following categories:
- You are Caucasian
- You give birth for the first time after age 30
- You have an abnormal uterus
- You have first-degree relatives (mother, sister, daughter) with the disease
Surgical treatment options for endometriosis depend on your diagnosis; however, there are two main options:
- Removal of endometrial tissue (best option if you want to have children)
- Removal of reproductive organs (total or partial hysterectomy)
We can help you heal.
Though a great option for all women suffering from endometriosis, minimally invasive surgery is especially promising for women who would like to have children in the future. With techniques like robotic surgery, the surgeon is able to make small precise movements to remove the tissue, preserving the delicate structures of the pelvis and decreasing the chance of future complications.
Robotic-assisted surgery also allows the surgeon better visualization of the anatomy, which is especially helpful with treating endometriosis.
The overall benefits robotic surgery include:
- Fewer complications
- Less blood loss and risk of infection
- Significantly less pain and scarring
- Shorter recovery time for a quicker return to normal activities
A less invasive surgery to get you back to your daily life.
As opposed to traditional "open" surgery, minimally invasive techniques like robotic-assisted surgery require only a few small incisions. Surgeons then insert fine instruments that provide exceptional precision and control.
During robotic-assisted surgery, microscopic cameras allow the surgeons to view magnified 3-D images of the procedure from high-definition monitors.
Throughout the entire procedure, your surgeon has full control of the robotic movements and, along with your surgical team, is by your side at all times.
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"The Sharp Experience means utilizing the doctor-patient relationship to motivate healthy lifestyle decisions — improving quality of life, health and longevity."
"My mission is to provide the newest technology and medical advances in female care."
"My goal is to provide my patients with an exceptional experience by exceeding their expectations."
"I strive to meet and exceed expectations, as well as provide optimal care in a caring, compassionate manner."
- Advanced Care Life Support (ACLS)
- Bariatric surgery
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Breast cancer
- Cancer support groups
- Cardiac Training Center
- Childbirth preparation
- Chronic disease management
- City of San Diego employees
- City of San Diego health & wellness workshops
- Congestive heart failure
- Continuing education
- CPR and first aid
- Embarazo y parto
- En español
- Financial and health care planning
- Gentle exercise
- Health screenings
- Integrative and complementary medicine
- Kidney transplant
- Men's health
- Mental health
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP)
- Newborn and baby care
- Pain management
- Parenting and child development
- Passport to Health City Employee Events
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Pregnancy and childbirth
- Prenatal hospital tours
- Robotic surgery
- Seniors and aging
- Sharp Chula Vista employees
- Sharp Coronado employees
- Sharp employee education
- Sharp Grossmont employees
- Sharp Metro employees
- Sharp-Rees Stealy employees
- Smoking cessation
- Strength training
- Stress management
- Weight management
- Women's care
- Yoga and pilates
- View category descriptions
These important numbers are located on your billing statement.
Find your Sharp Rees-Stealy account number
Find your Sharp hospital account number
Find your SharpCare account number