Sharp Grossmont Hospital
Limb Preservation Program
Multidisciplinary care for limb health and preservation.
At Sharp Grossmont Hospital, our team of specialists can help ease the worry of amputation surgery due to complications from conditions such as diabetes, peripheral arterial disease, vascular disease or active wounds.
Our experts create a personalized treatment plan using enhanced limb-saving techniques to help prevent amputation, so that you can return to an improved quality of life while retaining your independence.
What limb-threatening conditions can be treated?
We treat patients of all ages with:
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Active wounds
- Foot redness and discoloration
- Toe and foot gangrene
- Leg and foot swelling
- Limb infection
What symptoms can lead to limb loss?
If you're at risk of amputation, we can help you identify signs and symptoms that may include:
- Wounds or ulcers that do not heal
- Chronic foot or other lower-limb infections
- Numbness and/or skin discoloration in your lower limbs
- Toe or foot deformities
Can amputation be avoided?
With our advanced therapies and multi-specialty approach, we address all of your medical and surgical needs to effectively heal infections and prevent amputation. We offer diagnostic testing, patient education and treatments such as:
- Blood pressure checks and other tests to diagnose vascular diseases
- Advanced imaging techniques to view blood vessels
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Comprehensive wound care
- Foot care education
- Minimally invasive surgical options
- Diabetes care
What causes the need for amputation?
Some conditions such as diabetes, the leading cause of non-traumatic amputations in the U.S., require careful monitoring to avoid serious complications. Diabetes can lead to peripheral arterial disease, which can cause:
- Narrowed blood vessels that make it difficult for the body to deliver oxygen-rich blood to limbs, such as the legs and feet
- Numbness in the lower extremities
- Infections in wounds that go unnoticed
- Tissue and nerve damage from an improperly treated, infected wound; resulting in possible limb loss
How can we help prevent limb loss?
At Sharp Grossmont, we're recognized for innovation and medical excellence. Our Limb Preservation Program — one of a few offered in San Diego County — offers a level of care and services that are unique and state-of-the-art to help prevent amputation.
You will be cared for by a multidisciplinary team specialized in managing complex vascular diseases and infections. Your care team may include:
- Care coordinators
- Infectious disease specialists
- Plastic surgeons
- Vascular surgeons
- Wound care and hyperbaric medicine specialists
Our expert team provides excellent care using evidence-based, clinical protocols. We are also an educational resource within the greater medical community through active clinical mentoring and teaching.
Reduce your risk of amputation.
Sharp Grossmont Hospital’s Limb Preservation Program nurse navigator, Nicki Vedenoja, explains how.
Sharp Grossmont Hospital Limb Preservation Program
La Mesa, CA 91942
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors specializing in podiatry in San Diego.
Dr. Jerry Fabrikant
"I practice medical, surgical and dermatologic treatment of the foot and ankle complex."
Dr. Tony Nguyen
"My philosophy is to treat everyone with kindness and respect and provide high-quality care."
Dr. Kevin Cox
"What the Sharp experience means to me is experts of every field working together to bring the patient the best and most modern medical treatments available."
Dr. Melchior Vallone
"I am committed to providing excellent foot care in a warm, happy and welcoming environment."