Sharp Memorial Hospital
Head and Neck Cancer Treatment
Our expert head and neck cancer treatment team is here for you.
Treating cancer of the head and neck requires special expertise because it can affect how you talk, eat, smell and see. At Sharp Memorial Hospital, patients with these conditions receive highly skilled care from one of the country's most specialized teams of head and neck cancer experts.
We are dedicated to meeting the complex needs of patients with these diseases — from offering advanced technologies and treatments available to providing rehabilitation, follow-up care and ongoing support.
It's all part of the extraordinary level of care we call The Sharp Experience.
Head and neck cancer experts dedicated to you.
At Sharp Memorial Hospital, our team of expert specialists delivers personalized care, working together to develop the best possible treatment plan for you — giving you and your loved ones peace of mind.
Our dedicated team includes:
- Board-certified head and neck surgeons, neurosurgeons, neuropathologists, neuroradiologists, neuro-ophthalmologists, radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, oral surgeons, and plastic and reconstructive surgeons
- Physical and occupational therapists
- Speech pathologists/swallow specialists
- Inpatient nurse practitioners
- Genetic counselors specializing in assessing cancer risk
- Licensed clinical social workers to help patients cope with the emotional aspects of their diagnosis
- Nurse navigators to offer guidance and coordination of care services
Advanced technology and cancer treatment options.
Our expert team is pioneering new ways to treat head and neck cancers. We use advanced technology to help diagnose these diseases and provide the most accurate and effective treatments, including:
- Powerful diagnostic imaging systems that enable more effective and less invasive testing
- Advanced linear accelerator and radiation treatment for precise targeting of tumors
- State-of-the-art operating suites that feature the latest systems for surgical navigation
- Minimally invasive procedures that can minimize pain and speed recovery
- Access to clinical trials that offer innovative treatment options for many head and neck cancers
Sharp Memorial is proud to be one of the few hospitals in California to perform procedures with the da Vinci SP (single port) robotic-assist system, designed specifically for head and neck surgeries. This advanced robotics platform provides surgeons with an unprecedented range of motion and highly precise surgical control in the narrow spaces of the head, jaw and neck.
Help along the way.
We understand the challenges you face with head and neck cancer. Our nurse navigators are dedicated to helping ease the burdens that come with these illnesses - from diagnosis and treatment to recovery.
Our navigators will ensure your team of doctors has the most up-to-date information about your care. Navigators can schedule appointments, explain treatment options and give tips for managing side effects. In some cases, navigators may attend appointments to help gather information from doctors.
We recognize that eating well can be a challenge for patients with head and neck cancers. For this reason, our specially trained dietitians provide nutritional assessments and counseling as part of your care. Our dietitians take an individualized approach with each patient to ensure they are able to stay well-nourished before, during and after treatment.
Rehabilitation during and after treatment is a critical part of recovery, as many patients experience changes to their speech, swallowing or other functions. Our speech pathologists, physical therapists, dietitians and other experts will work closely with you to manage any potential side effects.
Head and neck cancer support groups and integrative therapies.
We offer individualized counseling by licensed clinical social workers as well as a dedicated head and neck cancer support group to help you cope with the emotional and social aspects of your diagnosis. In addition, we have a range of integrative therapies to soothe the mind, body and spirit - including exercise and art classes, relaxation skills, guided imagery and reiki.
Learn more about our head and neck cancer treatment program.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I strive to provide friendly, compassionate care to my patients in a way I would want to be treated."
"My goal is to provide the same outstanding care for my patients that I would for my family or myself."
"I want all patients to feel they are cared for and know their concerns are my concerns."
"I provide a high-quality, patient-centered approach before, during and after treatment."
"I love being a part of a comprehensive team of great players with genuine concern at Sharp."
"I aim to provide high-quality care in a friendly environment and to recognize each patient's needs."