OBGYN, Pregnancy and Childbirth Care
Caring for Mom and Baby After Childbirth
Bringing a new baby home is an exciting event, but your loved one also needs special care and attention. Learn important tips for caring for both mom and the new baby after childbirth.
- Ask for and accept help from family and friends
- Assist with bathtime — give baby a sponge bath until the cord falls off and bellybutton is healed (10 to 14 days after delivery), and bathe two to three times a week (more often if desired)
- Encourage your loved one to rest often and nap when the baby naps
- Help with baby care — including bathing, carrying and cuddling — and use this special time to build a bond with baby
- Help with the housework, cooking and entertaining
- If the baby gets a diaper rash, change diapers often and wash and dry baby's bottom each time, leaving exposed to air as often as possible
- If the new mom had a C-section, help her to avoid lifting anything heavier than the baby for the first four to six weeks
- If there are other small children, have them help with small tasks for the new baby that are appropriate for their age
- Limit the number of visitors to prevent mom and baby from feeling stressed
- Provide a balanced diet and plenty of fluids
Choose the best doctor in San Diego for you.
View doctors specializing in obstetrics/gynecology in San Diego.
"My mission is to provide the best prenatal care possible in a compassionate and understanding way."
"I believe in working with the patient to find the best treatment options for each individual."
"Nothing compares with the joy of assisting during the birth of a child. It's an honor to share such an important part of a patient's life."
"I enjoy the continuity of care with women from adolescence to menopause and beyond."
"I work to provide patients with the opportunity to take an active role in their care with an individualized treatment plan."