OBGYN, Pregnancy and Childbirth Care
Caring for Mom and Baby After Childbirth
Bringing a new baby home is an exciting event, but your loved one also needs special care and attention. Learn important tips for caring for both mom and the new baby after childbirth.
- Ask for and accept help from family and friends
- Assist with bathtime — give baby a sponge bath until the cord falls off and bellybutton is healed (10 to 14 days after delivery), and bathe two to three times a week (more often if desired)
- Encourage your loved one to rest often and nap when the baby naps
- Help with baby care — including bathing, carrying and cuddling — and use this special time to build a bond with baby
- Help with the housework, cooking and entertaining
- If the baby gets a diaper rash, change diapers often and wash and dry baby's bottom each time, leaving exposed to air as often as possible
- If the new mom had a C-section, help her to avoid lifting anything heavier than the baby for the first four to six weeks
- If there are other small children, have them help with small tasks for the new baby that are appropriate for their age
- Limit the number of visitors to prevent mom and baby from feeling stressed
- Provide a balanced diet and plenty of fluids
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors specializing in obstetrics/gynecology in San Diego.
Dr. Lisa Underwood
"The Sharp Experience means providers and support staff collaborating at all levels to ensure patients receive the highest quality of care."
Dr. Kristin Engorn
"The Sharp Experience means that we strive to maximize physical health, tools for continued success and general well-being."
Dr. Kofi Sefa-Boakye
"I am dedicated to the provision of culturally sensitive health care for the female patient."
Dr. Mark Zyman
"I foster open communication to deliver the highest quality of patient-centered care."
Dr. Andrea Journagin
"The Sharp Experience means exceeding patients' expectations by providing the highest quality women's health care possible."
Dr. Melody Besharati
"The Sharp Experience means a culture dedicated to providing exemplary care that consistently exceeds the expectations of the community it serves."
Dr. Maia Uli
"The Sharp Experience means receiving the best possible care in the best environment possible."