Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center
The New Hospital Tower at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center Fact Sheet
- The new hospital tower at Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center is the first new hospital in San Diego’s South Bay in more than 40 years (the existing Sharp Chula Vista hospital opened in May 1975).
- The new hospital tower had a 36-month construction schedule from groundbreaking in November 2016.
- From start to finish, 1,500 construction jobs were associated with the project.
- The project was named Project of the Year by the Design Build Institute of America in 2019.
- 90 percent of construction labor was local (San Diego County).
- In preparation for the tower, a 718-space parking garage was built and opened in 2015.
- The tower includes seven stories:
-106 private patient rooms
-6 operating rooms, including the South Bay’s only hybrid procedure room
-Level 1: Kitchen, pharmacy, loading dock, morgue, sterile supply
-Level 2: Lobby, operating rooms (including 1 hybrid OR) and 10 ICU suites
-Level 3-6: Patient rooms (sixth floor will open as shelled space for future additional patient rooms), central nurse stations, family lounges
-Level 7: Rooftop café and indoor/outdoor terrace
-Plan to remodel first and second floors of existing hospital that will connect it to the new one
- Sharp Chula Vista cares for more than 90,000 patients every year and has the highest per capita occupancy of any hospital in San Diego County.
- Sharp Chula Vista’s emergency department is one of the busiest in San Diego County with more than 75,000 visits each year.
- In 2012, Sharp Chula Vista opened the Douglas & Nancy Barnhart Cancer Center, bringing the most advanced cancer care to the region.
- With the opening of the new hospital tower, Sharp HealthCare has invested $300 million since 2012 in new health care facilities in the South Bay. The tower is the largest single investment Sharp has ever made.
- Sharp Chula Vista provides, on average, $60 million in community benefits each year ($5 million per month).
- Sharp HealthCare provides, on average, $350 million in community benefits each year (nearly $1 million per day).
- Sharp Chula Vista is the only A-rated hospital for patient safety in the South Bay (The Leapfrog Group, Spring 2018, Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019).
- Sharp Chula Vista is the only South Bay hospital on Healthgrades America’s Best Hospitals 2019 list, putting Sharp Chula Vista in the top 5 percent of hospitals nationwide for quality.
We'll help find the doctor who's right for you.
View doctors in San Diego.
"I provide compassionate and competent care with explanations in easily understood language."
"I am dedicated to the treatment of kidney disease and health promotion in a caring and cost-effective manner."
"Being available, affable and able are the rules to which I personally ascribe."
"The Sharp Experience means receiving the highest level of care San Diego has to offer."
"The Sharp Experience means a commitment to providing the highest quality of patient care."
"My greatest pride is when I see a patient in my office and they tell me they’re doing better than before."
"My goal is to have my patients feel the warmth of my true concern for their health."
"The Sharp Experience encompasses the treatment of the whole patient, which includes the patient, disease, their fears, support structure and wishes."